|Hello WAVE Volunteers,
I hope this email finds you happy and healthy. The WAVE sampling season runs July – Sept and is fast approaching.
Your health and safety is our number one priority. Updates to the WAVE Sampling Guide have been posted to the website, and include COVID-19 recommendations for any volunteers that would like to participate in 2020.
Another announcement: a new WAVE coordinator is here!
My name is Keleigh Reynolds, and I will be taking over for Alene this year, as she takes on new and exciting roles at DEC.
I look forward to working with you all, and please let me know if you have any issues or questions.
Staff in DEC's stream section are selecting sites for the 2020 professional stream sampling program. Several WAVE sites are among the list of proposed sampling locations. See the complete list of WAVE sites.
WAVE sites that are found to be “possibly impaired” or that had low habitat scores will be considered for the 2020 professional monitoring.
If interested in participating in a discussion about specific sites for 2020, please contact wave to be added to the participant list.
Anyone who can kick over a rock can participate in WAVE by following these simple steps:
1. Select a sampling location. We particularly appreciate samples collected from unassessed stream segments which are highlighted in this site selection tool. That being said, if the data are locally important, we'll accept samples from any stream with appropriate habitat.
Site selection tool
2. Get trained in the WAVE method by visiting the WAVE Page, which links to online videos to receive training at home.
3. Find a WAVE team. Find WAVE teams near you using this wave to get connected today! If you can't find a team near you, consider forming your own team!
4. Sign the WAVE waiver. WAVE participants must sign and mail in the WAVE waiver to participate.
5. Get Equipment – A limited number of kick nets and sample vials are available through the Equipment Loan Program. We are prioritizing equipment to those groups sampling several stream locations. Apply online by June 1st using this form.
Stay in the Loop. WAVE announcements are distributed through DEC’s email listserve. To sign up, enter your email address in the blue "DEC Delivers" box on the WAVE page.