Users May Be Ticketed for Entering Restricted Areas or Violating Area Regulations
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is reminding visitors to the Salmon River Falls Unique Area in the town of Orwell, Oswego County, to follow the regulations in place to ensure public safety and reduce impacts to the natural area located on the Salmon River.
"State regulations for Salmon River Falls are necessary to protect public health and encourage the safety and general welfare of both users of the property and nearby residents," said DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos. "DEC encourages visitors to enjoy this incredible resource safely and responsibly."
Since the state secured ownership of the property in 1993, public day use of the area known as the Salmon River Falls has increased exponentially. The focal point of the Salmon River Falls Unique Area is a 110-foot waterfall located upstream of the Salmon River Fish Hatchery. Injuries can be prevented by following site-specific rules, regulations, and signage.
Salmon River Falls site-specific regulations include:
- Restricted hours - the area is open from sunrise to sunset;
- Prohibited access to restricted areas: within 15 feet of the falls edge, all cliff edges, and falling rock zones, including swimming and wading in the plunge pool;
- Requires pets to be leashed and under control at all times;
- Prohibits camping, open fires, rock climbing, and the possession of alcoholic beverages, glass containers, or paint while on the property;
- Limits parking to designated areas and prohibit off road motor vehicle use (including snowmobiles, cars, trucks, motorcycles and ATVs);
- Requires the visitors to carry out all trash; and
- Prohibits unauthorized cutting of live trees, building of new trails, throwing projectiles, or causing anything to fall over the gorge.
DEC will continue to consult with local officials and the public to increase public safety and protect this overused resource to provide a safer and more enjoyable experience for all visitors and nearby residents of the town of Orwell.
All visitors are encouraged to stay on designated trails and to wear clothing and footwear appropriate for trail conditions. Additional site-specific information is available on DEC's website directly on the Salmon River Falls Unique Area web page.